Sunday, August 7, 2005

minority

there's a scene from a movie i cherish where the director/lead suddenly engages a passer-by in conversation to share a sad thought he just had. That is that he will throughout his life always be in tune and at ease with a small minority of people. He puts a supposedly positive spin on it by specifying that this is not because he doesn't believe in people but because he does not believe in the majority of them.

Where this guy was really referring to his political views, i have to admit that throughout my own life i have always felt very similarly with regards to my sexual identity. Finding myself gay in a predominantly straight world was the first hurdle. Understanding and coming to terms with my kinky self in a vanilla, glamour-loving community has led me to feeling further estranged. Now presenting and defending my desire for devoted belonging and protected ownership in sleazeland is leading to my sense of alienation feeling like the minority might actually come to the point where there's only 2 or 3 of us out there

if that

No comments: