Wednesday, December 6, 2006

take a chance

My friend Martin thinks i take bad decisions. I've said this before and i'll say it again: my friend Martin thinks i take BAD decisions.

Earlier today, as i succumbed to the morning cigarette loner-look nostalgia (i actually went out and bought my own pack - which i have readily given away) i once again found myself at the corner of Depression Road and Lonely Lane and i indulged in the little relaxation that tobacco has to offer me when, in the haze of a nicotine-drenched moment, the idea struck me: i should go to Glasgow.

i have to find out if words such as "if you were here it would be different" mean something real. Not knowing is no longer an option for me, nor is waiting any further. So i thought i should be there for a couple of days. It doesn't mean i have to see him the whole time and if things don't go well, i might only see him once. If they go well, he might want to see me more. But i have to give it a try and find out.

So i went online and bought myself a plane ticket and from thursday to saturday next week, i'll be in Glasgow, available for him if he wants to meet me. If not I'll have some time to do my Christmas shopping and there must be other things to do in Glasgow that can keep me busy for a couple of days.

With hindsight, this may not have been my most carefully considered plan but in the moment the idea of going made me smile again, it made me feel excited and, if nothing else, it was worth it because of that.

No comments: