Thursday, November 23, 2006

there's fetish and fetish

The other day I was talking to a friend about the fact that i don't like Hard On. Like i've said before, i was quite disappointed to find that it wasn't at all a place for Masters and slaves but simply a sex club - and quite a camp one at that. I dream of a place where the dynamics of dominance and submission integrate seamlessly into the regular running of things, just like any other fact of life and Hard On is not it. My friend's way of summarising this was another. He said: that's not fetish.

Fetish, like session (or sesh) is one of those words i don't use a lot. I'm not sure why. I think it's because it makes everything sound unreal whereas i, as i was saying, keep chasing a reality that accepts and understands D/s.

But this idea that somehow for me it's not about fetish is really a fantasy. Of course it's a fetish. It's just that my fetish is not leather, rubber, boots - although boots are kind of cool. What i fetishise is anything to do with domination - collars, chains, restraints - and masculinity - which in my mind translates not so much as leather garments but sportswear.

This week i bought a pair of shox. When i took them out of the box i couldn't get my eyes off them, the shiny surface, the curves, the smell, the fabric.

Naaa... that's not fetish at all, is it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not in the slightest. Heh!

fucking in gear you, or I, can do anytime we want. There's no shortage of people who say they're into things where really all they want is sex in one form or another. The number of people who actually get that D/s is nearly 100% headspace and the rest is near-irrelevant are very few.

Working out via questioning whether a person actually understand what "fetish" means is something I do pretty early in a conversation - weeds out the people I have no time for pretty quickly...