Thursday, June 29, 2006

the truth

Should you follow heart or reason? Go where your heart takes you, we've all heard that. i certainly don't do much of that. I go where my head takes me, i.e. all the wrong places. In the Big Chill, JG tells us that rationalisation is more important than sex: we can go for days without sex but not even a few hours without rationalising. But defending the concept that the truth is whatever you can argue more forcefully, a few centuries before mr BP gave us one of those little pearls of wisdom, a quote, a little cheesy by today's standards, but nevertheless something that from my teen-age years has sort of offered me an escape route, an alternative way and hinted to the existence of something that can't be fully grasped and rightfully so. Le cœur a des raisons que la raison ne connaît point - the heart has reasons that the reason doesn't know. Can that really be true?

No comments: